Bananas go bad way too quickly. I'm not sure why God made them that way. Am I the only one who buys fresh bananas that are still slightly green, and then, what seems like the very next day, they are brown. Why can't I seem to use/eat them faster?
Oh that's right....so I can make banana bread! There's nothing better than taking a perfectly healthy food and mixing it with chocolate, butter and flour! :)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, separated
1/3 cup buttermilk
3 very ripe bananas
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Put the oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and sugar a 9″ loaf pan.
3. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips and walnuts together in large bowl.
4. In a medium bowl, melt the butter and allow it to cool a little.
5. Measure out the buttermilk and vanilla into a small bowl.
6. Add the egg yolks to the melted butter.
7. Add the egg whites to the buttermilk. (The reason for separating the eggs is because the yolk is a natural emulsifier - allows oils and water to mix.- By combining the yolk with the butter and then adding the mixture to the buttermilk, it allows you to distribute the butter more evenly rather than having it all clump up and separate.)
8. Whisk each separately until smooth and creamy. Add the buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture and whisk to combine.
9, Mash the bananas with the back of a fork with the juice of half a lemon. Add this to the liquids and stir to combine.
10. Dump the liquids into the dry ingredients then gently fold it all together until most of the big lumps of flour are gone. You don’t want to over-mix it and it’s okay if there are some small bits of flour left.
11. Put it in your loaf pan and gently even off the top.
12. Put it in the oven until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 50 minutes to 1 hour. Allow it to cool on a rack in the pan.
Source: No Recipes