Cold weather is all around me. Tonight's low is supposed to be 7 degrees. Fahrenheit. COLD. Which means my life is currently encased in electric blankets, portable heaters, coats and warm meals.
One of those meals that warm the body and soothes the soul is yummy soup. I had some butternut squash in my fridge just waiting to be used somehow, so I decided to make it into soup! Here's the recipe I came up with....and let me just say right now, it's super tasty. Blair was raving every time he had some. In his words, "Dude, this soup is so good that it goes with everything!"
3-4 celery stalks
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 lbs butternut squash
2 apples (I used Fuji)
2 red bell peppers
4 cups chicken broth
sweet curry powder (I used Penzeys. LOVE their spices)
handful of kale (I used Red Russian Kale)
applewood smoked cheddar cheese *optional garnish*
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot, on medium high heat.
2. Saute the onion and celery until tender.
3. Add the butternut squash, apples, bell peppers, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
4. Add salt, pepper, thyme, and sweet curry powder to taste. I didn't measure this step. Instead I just kept tasting until it was right. My guess is that I probably used about 1-2 teaspoons of salt and pepper. And 2-3 teaspoons of thyme and sweet curry powder. But again, that's a guess. Taste test it as you go, always starting a little on the less side. You can always add more!
5. Stir to combine, and boil for about 30 minutes.
6. Add the handful of kale, stirring to combine.
7. Blend thoroughly with an immersion blender.*
8. Serve. (optional addition - grate applewood smoked cheddar cheese over the top for garnish. SO good)
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!
*Just fyi - (IF you don't have an immersion blender, they are so handy! Lots of different brands out there. Here are some good brand names. I haven't tried any except the Rival I have pictured above. I can't vouch, but I just thought I'd provide some links to get you started.*